St Joseph`s Stations of The CrossPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth

The Stations of the Cross were donated to commemorate those from the District who died in service or were killed in action during World War One. 

Most of the paintings have been donated by family members however Station 1 and Station V have been donated by Private S. Freill and Private W. J. O`Brien in memory of comrades killed at Gallipoli and Lone Pine. 

Each station was donated by parishioners in honour of a soldier or soldiers from Gunnedah and surrounding areas who fell during the war. Each station has a plaque detailing who it was erected by, in whose honour it is erected and where and when they died.

There are fourteen 'Stations of the Cross' in Catholic churches commemorating Jesus' journey to Calvary in visual images such as paintings, reliefs or sculptures. The stations in St Joseph’s are paintings in ornately carved timber frames. 

The stations were unveiled at the blessing and the opening of the church on the 22nd June 1919. 

The stations depicted are:

  1. Jesus is condemned to death
  2. Jesus is made to bear his cross
  3. Jesus falls the first time
  4. Jesus meets his mother
  5. The Cyrenean helps Jesus
  6. Veronica wipes the face of Jesus
  7. Jesus falls the second time
  8. Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem
  9. Jesus falls the third time
  10. Jesus is stripped of his garments
  11. Jesus is nailed to the cross
  12. Jesus dies on the cross
  13. Jesus is taken from the cross
  14. Jesus is placed in the sepulchre



Address:346 Conadilly Street, St Joseph`s Catholic Church, Gunnedah, 2380
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -30.980217
Long: 150.258408
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Art
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 22nd June, 1919
Front Inscription

Plaque at Station 1 :

Erected by Private S. Freill

In memory of friends killed at Gallipoli 1915.


Plaque at Station 5 :

Erected by Private W. J. O'Brien

In memory of comrades killed at Lone Pine 6th August 1915


Source: NRWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au