St Luke`s War Memorial Altar & Honour RollPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth

The altar and honour roll commemorate those from St Luke`s Parish who served in World War One. The altar was unveiled on the 4th August 1921 and the honour roll which complements the altar was unveiled on the 8th November 1923.

As a mark of recognition of the services performed by those residents of Junee who enlisted during the war to keep forever fresh the names of those who fell in battle, the congregation of St. Luke`s Church of England have set out to erect in their Church a memorial altar and reredos on which will be inscribed the names of Junee`s soldiers.  Already an effort to collect the necessary money has been embarked on and the response to date has been generous. The design for the memorial has been prepared and has been endorsed by the parishioners as being not only suitable, but as indicating promise of a beautiful addition to the church. The altar and reredos are to be of carved and polished oak crenellated at the top and having three tall panels. The entire panel will form the background to the altar itself; on the left panel will be inscribed the names of the fallen; while the right panel will bear the names of those who enlisted.

The work is estimated to cost between £125 and £130. The appeal for funds was made only three weeks ago and already £50 has been collected. It is the intention of the committee to unveil the altar and reredos on August 4th, the anniversary of Britain`s declaration of war. 
The Daily Express (Wagga Wagga, NSW), 16 April 1921. 

The unveiling of the honor board at St. Luke's Church of England took place before the sermon on Thursday night. The rector, Rev. H. Staples, invited Mr Compton, who had lost three sons at the war and who had been a church warden for 17 years, to unveil the honor board on the west wall of the church. The rector stated that much difficulty had been experienced in collecting the names of 117 St. Luke's parishioners who had returned and the 37 who had made the supreme sacrifice. After prayers for the fallen and the Empire, Mr Compton, in a voice betokening deep feeling, remarked: 'I unveil this honor board to the honor and glory of God and in proud and loving memory of the devotion and gallantry of those men whose names are inscribed upon it. He then removed the Union Jack which had veiled the handsome oak board of similar design to the altar of which it forms the complement. The motto at the foot reads, "See that ye conquer by living as we conquered by dying."
Albury Banner and Wodonga Express (NSW ), 9 November 1923. 




Address:Denison Street, St Luke's Anglican Church, Junee, 2663
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.872979
Long: 147.586993
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Thursday 4th August, 1921
Front Inscription

Honour Roll :

To the honour & glory of God

The Altar in this Church was erected in faithful memory of the men from St. Luke`s Parish who fell in the Great War and in  thankful remembrance of those who returned.

[ Names ]


[ Names ]

"See that ye conquer by living as we conquered by dying." 



Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au