Xavier College Memorial ChapelPrint Page Print this page

The chapel was dedicated to former students of Xavier College who died in service or were killed in action in World War One. The chapel was built to commemorate Xavier College`s Golden Jubilee in 1928. 

The foundation stone of the chapel was laid on the 30th October 1927 and the chapel was opened and blessed on the 18th November 1934. 

In preparation for the building of a memorial chapel at Xavier College, Kew, the excavations for the foundations were started yesterday morning by the president of the Old Xaverians Association ( Mr. J F. Cooke), who turned the first sod. The school and the community were assembled on the site for the chapel, which is to be erected on the western side of the college, in line with the front section of the building. The chapel is to be built to commemorate Xavier's golden jubilee, which will be recorded next year, and it will be dedicated as a memorial to the old Xaverians who fell in the great war. It is estimated to cost over £25,000 and the funds are being subscribed by old Xaverians and friends of Xavier. The foundation stone will be laid when the foundations are up to the floor level, probably at the end of August, and it is expected that the building will be complete in time for the jubilee commemoration next year. At the ceremony yesterday brief speeches were made by Mr. Cooke and the rector of the college (Rev. Father Frost, S.J.), and the school was given a holiday in honor of the event.
Age (Melbourne), 22 June 1927.

The old boys of Xavier College and friends of the school have decided to mark the close of Xavier, first 50 years by the erection of a beautiful memorial chapel, which will commemorate especially those who fell in the Great War. The building is in progress, and the foundation-stone will be laid on Sunday, October 30, at a quarter to 3 o'clock.
Argus (Melbourne), 22 October 1927.

Sunday, November 18, will be a memorable day in the history of Xavier College, Kew, for in the afternoon of that day his Grace the Archbishop will bless and open the new college chapel. Old Xaverians had long felt the need of a becoming chapel for their old school, and finally decided to erect the present structure "for the honour of the Living God, in memory of deceased Xaverians." In 1927, on the Feast of Christ the King, his Grace the Archbishop blessed and laid the foundation stone. Built of Hawkesbury sandstone, the chapel is a beautiful example of classical architecture, and forms an imposing addition to the college buildings. The architect was Mr. O. H. Jorgensen. Those present at the opening will have the opportunity and privilege of hearing the Most Rev. Dr. Downey, Archbishop of Liverpool,who will deliver an address. Old Xaverians and all friends of Xavier are cordially invited to be present.
Advocate (Melbourne), 8 November 1934.


Address:135 Barkers Road, Xavier College, Kew, 3101
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.811523
Long: 145.032913
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Designer:Ole Jorgensen


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 30th October, 1927
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au