Bexley Methodist Church Memorial PulpitPrint Page Print this page

The pulpit of the church commemorates those from the district who died in service or were killed in action in World War One.

The pulpit was a gift of Mr and Mrs T. A. Johnston and Gladys Johnston and was unveiled at the opening of the new Methodist Church. 

A handsome church building of brick for the Methodist congregation at Bexley was opened on Saturday last by Rev. H. L. Redman. The dedicatory service was conducted by Rev. H. E. Andrews, chairman of the Second Sydney District. There was a large attendance. Considerable interest was displayed in the unveiling of a number of memorials, which comprised a stained glass window, "Light of the World," the gift of Mrs. Martin, widow of Rev. George Martin; a similar window, "The Tower," in memory of the late James Napper, presented by Mrs. Napper; a pulpit chair, in memory of the late Rev. R. M. Laverty, presented by his son, Mr. Colin Laverty: a pulpit in Queensland maple, the gift of Mr and Mrs. T. A. Johnston, as a memorial to the soldiers of Bexley who fell in the war; and a font, in memory of Alisha Nelson, presented by the kindergarten school. The church is to cost £2800, a third of which is in hand. The new building adjoins the old church property, and has seating accommodation for 205 adult worshippers. The contract price was £2569, which includes seating and a brick fence in front of the church. The rostrum, choir seats, and communion rail are of polished Queensland maple, which gives a beautiful finish to the church. The architect was Mr. A. L. Clark, while the contractors were Messrs. Parkinson Bros., of Hurstville.
Propeller (Hurstville), 19 February 1926.


Address:29 Gladstone Street, Bexley Uniting Church, Bexley, 2207
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.953654
Long: 151.126747
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Religious Object
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 13th March, 1926
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au