80th Anniversary of Remembrance Day Print Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

The plaque commemorates the 80th Anniversary of Remembrance Day and is dedicated to all who served in conflicts in which Australia has been involved. 

At 11 am on 11 November 1918 the guns on the Western Front fell silent after more than four years of continuous warfare and this date was known as Armistice Day.  After the end of the Second World War, the Australian and British governments changed the name to Remembrance Day. Armistice Day was no longer an appropriate title for a day which would commemorate all war dead.

In Australia on the 75th anniversary of the armistice in 1993 Remembrance Day ceremonies again became the focus of national attention. The remains of an unknown Australian soldier, exhumed from a First World War military cemetery in France, were ceremonially entombed in the Memorial's Hall of Memory. Remembrance Day ceremonies were conducted simultaneously in towns and cities all over the country, culminating at the moment of burial at 11 am and coinciding with the traditional two minutes' silence. This ceremony, which touched a chord across the Australian nation, re-established Remembrance Day as a significant day of commemoration.

Four years later, in 1997, Governor-General Sir William Deane issued a proclamation formally declaring 11 November to be Remembrance Day, urging all Australians to observe one minute's silence at 11 am on 11 November each year to remember those who died or suffered for Australia's cause in all wars and armed conflicts.


Address:26 Fitzroy Street, Tamworth War Memorial Town Hall, Tamworth, 2340
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -31.091066
Long: 150.931421
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:11-November-1918
Actual Event End Date:11-November-1998


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 11th November, 1998
Front Inscription

This Plaque Is Dedicated In Memory To All 
             "Who Served"
                   On The 

         11. 11. 1998
          Unveiled By 
 Sir William Vines, AC, CMG
Tamworth R.S.L. Sub-Branch On It`s 80th Anniversary Year

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au