Davenport War MemorialPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Roger Johnson
The monument commemorates those from Davenport who died in service or were killed in action during World War One. It originally stood in front of the Davenport Memorial Hall and the foundation stone for the hall, which was laid on the 15th November 1926, is located on the memorial. 

PORT AUGUSTA. November 15. There was a large crowd at the laying of the foundation stone of the Davenport Fallen Soldiers' Memorial Hall today. The outside walls of the building are practically completed, and the contractor (Mr. T. Tottman) and his men are doing well. The structure was decorated for the occasion by flags of the Empire. Mr. H. R. Holds (Mayor of Davenport and Chairman of the Memorial Hall Committee), in a few appropriate words, introduced the Commissioner of Crown Lands and member for this district (Hon. T. Butterfield), and asked him to perform the ceremony of laying the foundation stone. He presented the Minister with a silver trowel suitably inscribed.
Observer (Adelaide), 20 November 1926.

The Committee of the Davenport Fallen Soldiers Memorial Hall have decided to erect a suitable memorial to fallen soldiers in front of the hall, with a roll of honour prominently displayed. The work of erection will begin early, so that the stone may be unveiled on ANZAC Day, when it is proposed to hold a short service and ceremony at 11 a.m.
Transcontinental (Port Augusta, SA), 6 April 1928.



Address:Stirling Road & Carlton Parade, Port Augusta, 5700
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.496231
Long: 137.769047
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 25th April, 1928
Front Inscription

In Memoriam.

Davenport soldiers who made the supreme sacrifice

[ Names ]

Dedicated to the memory of the fallen soldiers of Davenport.

This stone was laid by Hon. T. Butterfield, Minister for Crown Lands.

Nov. 15, 1926

Source: MA,RVWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au