Women`s Memorial to Fallen SoldiersPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Roger Johnson

The memorial, erected by the women of Port Pirie, commemorates those who died in service or were killed in action in World War One. The memorial was restored in 1996. 

His Excellency the Governor and Lady Bridges, attended by Captain Duncan (private secretary), arrived here on October 14 from Adelaide. They were met by the Mayor (Mr. J. C. Fitzgerald, J.P.), and hearty cheers were given by the big crowd which lined the street.  Mr. A. W. Lacey, M.H.R., Councillors Afford, Clark, Day, and Cockburn, and the town clerk (Mr. E..E. Garrett) were introduced, and a move was then made to the children's playgronnd, the site chosen for the official welcome ceremony. On the way the motors were stopped at the recreation ground to enable the visitors to inspect the memorial gates and honor roll.  After official addresses, then came the ceremony of the unveiling of the women's memorial to fallen soldiers, erected in the Soldier's Memorial Park.

The memorial, of Angaston marble, takes the form of a tall, broken column, supported by a large square pedestal. The latter bears the inscription, "In memory of the fallen ,1914-1919. Erected by the women of Port Pirie."  Formed up near the memorial under  the command of Captain Hobbey, were 18 members of the Ellendale Troop of Girl Guides.  The Mayor, on behalf of the Women's Memorial Committee, asked Lady Bridges to unveil that beautiful tribute to the memory of the sacrifice made by many brave men who had gone from that district to the war.
Chronicle (Adelaide), 18 October 1924.



Address:Memorial Drive & Gertrude Street, Memorial Park, Port Pirie, 5540
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.178404
Long: 138.005866
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 14th October, 1924
Front Inscription

In memory of the fallen

1914 - 1919

Erected by the women of Port Pirie.


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au