Tuncurry Memorial HallPrint Page Print this page

Tuncurry Memorial Hall : 17-September-2014
Tuncurry Memorial Hall : 17-September-2014

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
The hall was built in 1921 to commemorate those who served in World War One. Since the opening, there have been various additions and improvements made.

The project of a Memorial Hall at Tuncurry, to perpetuate the memories of the soldiers who fought in the great war was a big one; anything small would be unworthy of the gallant men the story of whose battlefield achievements are now world-wide history. The financial problem in connection with the erection of the hall was a big one, too, but it was solved with scarcely an effort, thanks to the generosity and enthusiasm of a grateful people. The functions to mark the opening were big ones, too, and all were splendidly successful. The hall, which is an attractive structure, is nicely situated close to the bank of the river, and adjoins the recreation ground. It is charmingly placed, and one standing under its swinging verandah can enjoy a splendid view of the harbor crossing, and a wide expanse of Cape Hawke bay, and of the blue Pacific. 

The building was designed by Mr. Ernest Wright and Mr. William Gray, and was erected by Messrs. Allan, formerly of Nabiac, but now of Kempsey. The builders, by their thoroughness in this structure, have established a reputation for faithful work. The opening ceremony took place on Saturday afternoon, between two football matches. The speeches were commendably brief. Mr. R. A. Price, M.L.A., had been invited to perform the ceremony, and his colleagues, Messrs. J. J. Fitzgerald and T. H. Hill, M's.L.A., had also been invited. The latter attended, and apologised for the unavoidable absence of Mr. Fitzgerald. Mr. C. S. McLaren presided at the opening ceremony, and Mr. R. R. Breckenridge represented the Forster School of Arts committee, of which body he is president. 
Wingham Chronicle and Manning River Observer (NSW), 
23 September 1921.


Address:7 Point Road, Tuncurry, 2428
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.180265
Long: 152.499963
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Designer:Mr. Ernest Wright & Mr. William Gray
Monument Manufacturer:Allan (Kempsey,NSW)


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 17th September, 1921
Front Inscription

 Est. 1921

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au