www.monumentaustralia.org.au

The DiehardsPrint Page Print this page

15-August-2015
15-August-2015
Photographs supplied by Father Ted Doncaster

The Plaque commemorates the 150th Anniversary of first British regiment at Fort Dundas, known as "The Diehards".

On 24th August 1824 the ships H.M.S. Tamar, Countess of Harcourt and Lady Nelson set sail from Sydney bound for northern Australia. The expedition, commanded by Captain James J. Gordon Bremer, had the task of establishing a permanent military outpost in northern Australia, a region then lying outside the control of the Australian colonies or the British Empire.

Lt-Colonel Thomas Shadforth commanded the 57th Regiment (The Diehards) in Australia from 1825, having survived the battle of Albuhera on 16 May 1811 where the legend of the Diehards was born. Battalion casualties were 422 out of 570 men in the ranks and 20 out of 30 officers. The Allied General Beresford wrote in his dispatch, “our dead, particularly the 57th Regiment, were lying as they fought in the ranks, every wound in front.” Colonel Shadforth was promoted in the field. A detachment of the 57th regiment under Diehard Major John Campbell was sent from Sydney in 1826 to this new settlement at Fort Dundas on Melville Island.

Location

Address:27 Cavenagh Street, RSL Club, Darwin, 0800
State:NT
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -12.462463
Long: 130.842866
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Colonial
Approx. Event Start Date:1826
Approx. Event End Date:1976

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 20th September, 1976
Front Inscription

        Ich Dien 
       Albuhera


MIDDLESEX REGIMENT
57TH REGIMENT OF FOOT
   THE DIE HARDS 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design