100th Anniversary of the Installation of Mark VII GunsPrint Page Print this page

Mark VII Gun Plaque : 17-July-2014
Mark VII Gun Plaque : 17-July-2014
Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown / Russell Byers

A plaque commemorates the 100th anniversary of the installation of the Mark VII guns at Fort Scratchley in 1811.

The strategic importance of a hilltop overlooking the harbour was recognised as early as 1804, and by 1828 an earthen battery was constructed and equipped with seven guns. In 1876, with fears of Russian attack, the British Government sent Major General Sir William Jervois and Lieutenant Colonel Peter Scratchley to advise on naval defences.

Under the direction of Jervois and Scratchley, Colonial Architect James Barnet oversaw construction of the Fort. It was designed around a battery of three guns facing eastward in an arc to the ocean, with other guns covering the harbour to north and west. The gun emplacements were cut into the top of the hill to present a low profile to attack


Address:Nobbys Road, Fort Scratchley Historic Site, Newcastle East, 2300
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.926213
Long: 151.791139
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 13th November, 2011
Front Inscription

This plaque was unveiled by Her Excellency Professor Marie Bashir AC CVO on Sunday 13 November 2011 commemorating the 100th anniversary of installation of the 6" Mark VII guns at Fort Scratchley.  

These guns returned fire during a World War Two attack by a Japanese submarine on 8 June 1942.

Cr John S Tate  Lord Mayor of Newcastle
Bill Hopkins       President Fort Scratchley Historical Society


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design