Parramatta & District Soldiers MemorialPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland / Sandra Brown

The monument commemorates those from the district who died in service or were killed in action during the South African (Boer) War.

The ceremony of dedicating and unveiling the district soldiers' memorial, which has been erected in an imposing position in the Parramatta Park, took place on Saturday afterrnoon in the presence of a large gathering. The function was performed by Colonel Burns. Amongst those present were Ven. Archdeacon Gunther, the Revs J. Paterson, and J. Worboys, Mr. W. Noller (Mayor of Parramatta), Mr. Joseph Cook M.P., Mr T. R. Moxham, M.L.A., Mr Edward Terry, M.L.A., and many prominent ladies and gentlemen of the district. The Parramatta Squadron of Lancers, under Lieutenant-Colonel Cox, C.B., A Company of Infantry under Captain Guyott, and some 500 Public School Cadets, were present, as also was the Lancer Band, under Bandmaster Watters.  Colonel Burns, who was accompanied by Major Hilliard, D.S.O., and Lieutenant Burns arrived with a Lancer escort at about 3.45 p.m., and was received with the general salute. 

Colonel Burns then unveiled the monument and asked those returned soldiers who were present to come forward. Some dozen or so, under Colonel-Cox, stepped forward, amid the applause of those assembled, and Colonel Burns called for three cheers for the veterans. The cheers were heartily given, Colonel Cox, in a few words, acknowledging the compliment on behalf of himself and his comrades. 

The memorial, which occupies a prominent position near the site of the observatory obelisk, which marks the 
position of the first observatory in Australia, is of the Grecian Doric of architecture. Four noble columns support a pedestal, on which is to be placed a pom-pom from South Africa, in the centre of the four columns is a structure with four marble slabs, on which are inscribed the names of the fallen soldiers. This is surmounted by a broken column.
Excerpt from Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 25 April 1904. 

Monument characteristics :

The monument has four pillars with cannons on either side. It also incorporates the columns and stone from the portico of the old Parramatta Court House.  The broken pillar in the centre of the monument signifies "life broken short" to remember the lives lost in the war.


Address:Long Avenue, Parramatta Park, Parramatta, 2150
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.811623
Long: 150.99496
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:11-October-1899
Actual Event End Date:01-June-1902


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 23rd April, 1904
Front Inscription


[ Names ]

Left Side Inscription
[ Names ]
Back Inscription
[ Names ]
Right Side Inscription
[ Names ]
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design