Laying Up of the ColourPrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
The plaque commemorates the laying up of the colour presented to the 4th Battalion Australian Rifle Regiment for services rendered in the Boer War. The colour (King Edward Banner) was presented to the church in 1939. 

A ceremony rarely seen in Australia was performed yesterday, when the King Edward Banner of the former Australian Rifles was "laid up" at the foot of the nave of St. Anne's Church, Strathfield. The King Edward banner was presented to the Australian Rifles (whose successor is the present 4th Battalion at Homebush) by the late King Edward VII. in recognition of services rendered by members in the Boer War. The ceremony was arranged at the request of the Old Comrades' Association of the Australian Rifle Regiment, who have done much to preserve the tradition of the regiment. In the presence of a colour party, Brigadier General J. Heane carried the banner from the chancel to the altar, where he handed it to Lieutenant-Colonel J. W. Crawford, the commanding officer of the 4th Battalion, who in turn presented it to Colonel A. P. Parsons, of the 2nd A.I.P.. The rector, the Rev. W. G. Nisbet, then installed the colour in its permanent repository, where a commemorative tablet provided by the citizens' committee of the 4th Battalion was already in position.
Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 18 December 1939.


Address:Homebush & Beresford Roads, St Anne's Anglican Church, Strathfield, 2135
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.870903
Long: 151.087497
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:11-October-1899
Actual Event End Date:01-June-1902


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:December-1939
Front Inscription

This Colour Was Presented By
His Most Gracious Majesty Edward VII
            To The
4th Battalion Australian Rifle Regiment
In Recognition Of Services Rendered To The Empire
In South Africa 1900 - 02,
And Was Presented By Lt. Col. J. W. Crawford
On Behalf Of The Battalion
To Rev. W. G. Nisbet, Rector Of St Anne`s Strathfield,
On Sunday, December 17th, 1939.
To Be Permanently Placed In This Parish Church.


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design