Isis District War Memorial & Council ChambersPrint Page Print this page

Isis District War Memorial
Isis District War Memorial

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson / Kathryn Lucas / John Huth

The Isis District War Memorial and Council Chambers commemorate those who died in service or were killed in action during World War One and World War Two.  

It is a one story masonry building, and the western wing of the building accommodates the War Memorial room. The War Memorial is entered via a sloping ramp and through a pair of tall, timber panelled doors. Dark timber honour boards stretch across all four walls of the room. There are two boards on the eastern wall, the upper one is in memory of the men who died in action in World War Two and is surmounted by an ornate timber pediment. The lower boards are in memory of the men who died in World War One. The boards are inscribed with gilt lettering and have a row of copper plaques mounted upon them. Each plaque is dedicated to the memory of an individual soldier and is embossed with the years of the war, the badge of the Australian Imperial Force and an oval-shaped photograph of the soldier framed by a pair of weeping women and the words “in memory of”. The soldiers’ names are engraved on small plaques below. The plaques for World War One are brass and for World War Two, chrome. The room is listed on the Queensland Heritage Register.

A deputation of men and women from the Isis District War Memorial Committee approached the Isis Shire Council at its General Meeting on 20th October 1924 to discuss the possibility of jointly constructing the "Isis District War Memorial Shire Council Chambers". The proposed building would house a Soldiers' Memorial and a room for returned soldiers as well as new Council Chambers. A joint committee was formed. A driving force behind the war memorial project was the then Shire Clerk, Mr Herbert Epps. Epps was a former councillor who had relinquished his position on Council to take up the job of Shire Clerk, a responsibility he maintained until his death in 1932. One of his three sons was killed in action in France in 1917 and he was passionate in his determination to have the War Memorial Council Chambers erected.


Address:Churchill & Lord Streets, Childers, 4660
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -25.235556
Long: 152.280556
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Designer:Francis Jones (Architect)


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 25th April, 1926
Front Inscription

Isis District War Memorial

Commemoration Tablet

This memorial hall was opened on ANZAC Day April 25th 1926

Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design