www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Pioneer Women`s Memorial Garden Print Page Print this page

17-March-2014
17-March-2014

Photographs supplied by Roger Johnson / Bryan Cole

The Pioneer Women's Memorial Garden was established by the women of South Australia as a tribute to the pioneer women of the state in 1941. The garden was designed by landscape designer Elsie Cornish and the statue created by Ola Cohn was unveiled by Lady Muriel Barclay-Harvey on the 19 April 1941. A time recorder designed by Government Astronomer George Dodwell is located on the left side of the statue. 

The Memorial Garden was paid for by the Women's Centenary Council of South Australia. The Women’s Centenary Council (WCC) comprised representatives of 72 women’s organizations and in March 1935 met to discuss projects for South Australia’s 1936 centenary.

There was strong support for a memorial to early women settlers especially those who had endured so much in the outback area. It was decided that the memorial should not be a burden on future generations of women. Adelaide Miethke conceived of a ‘Book of Remembrance` to raise funds, each sponsor, for the cost of one shilling recording her name and those of her ancestors on the Leaves of Remembrance. The completed book contained more than 20,000 names and raised over £1000 pounds. However most of the funds came from fetes, competitions, bridge parties, sports carnivals and other events.  A total of £6250 was raised and this was dedicated in 1937 to establishing a Flying sister base at Alice Springs, and £1000 for a Pioneer Women’s Garden of Remembrance, to be given to the Adelaide City Council.

Miss Ola Cohn will leave Melbourne by plane on Thursday for Adelaide, where she will attend the ceremony of the unveiling of the stone figure she carved as the South Australian women's memorial to the pioneer women. She will be the guest of Mrs. Carlyle McDonnell.  Lady Muriel Barclay Harvey will unveil the figure at the ceremony on Saturday, April 19, and will place in the crypt at the side of the base the Leaves of Remembrance. This ceremony will follow that of the handing over to the Governor, Sir Barclay Harvey, the title for the Flying Doctor's wireless base at Alice Springs by the chairman of the South Australian Pioneer Women's Memorial trust, Miss A. Meithke. The Garden of Remembrance will be handed over to the Lord Mayor of Adelaide by the trust during the ceremony. 
Age (Melbourne), 12 April 1941. 

Location

Address:King William Road, Adelaide, 5000
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.918455
Long: 138.600334
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Garden
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Designer:Elsie Cornish (landscape designer)
Artist:Ola Cohn

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 19th April, 1941
Front Inscription

This Garden of Remembrance and the Flying Doctor Base at Alice Springs were established in the Centenary Year, 1936 by the women of South Australia as a tribute to the pioneer women of the State

 

Left Side Inscription

The hours vanish yet they are recorded

 

Back Inscription
1836 -1936
Right Side Inscription
The hours vanish yet they are recorded
Inscription in Proximity

Plaque :

This Garden and the Flying Doctor Base at Alice Springs commemorate the pioneer women of South Australia
1836 - 1936

Plaque :

Pioneer Women`s Memorial Garden 

Opened 19th April 1941

Founding Trustees
Adelaide L. Miethke O.B.E.
Phebe N. Watson O.B.E.
Gisela Siebert
Dorothy B. C. Dolling O.B.E.
Francis M. McGuire A.M.
18th November 2002

Source: MA,NRUM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design