Tobacco Industry PlaquePrint Page
Plaque marks the contribution the tobacco industry made to the prosperity of Manjimup Shire over a period of many years.
The tobacco industry was established in the Manjimup District in 1928. Its growth is closely connected to the influx of Macedonian immigrants to Manjimup in the Inter-War period. The industry continued until its sudden demise in 1961 due to tobacco companies halting purchase of the Manjimup product.
|Address:||Rose Street, near Manjimup Timber and Heritage Park, Manjimup, 6258|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.237428|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 1st October, 1955|
Tobacco Industry Plaque
This plaque was erected by the
Manjimup Historical Society Inc.
To mark the contribution the
tobacco industry made to the
prosperity of Manjimup Shire over
a period of many years.
First grown commercially in the
late 1920's production peaked in
the 1950's and ceased completely
October 1st 1995