www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Iron Bridge Re-openingPrint Page Print this page

Bridge Re-opening : 28-November-2011
Bridge Re-opening : 28-November-2011

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

A tree commemorates the re-opening of the Iron Bridge in 1998. The tree planted was grown from a cutting of a willow planted outside "The Settlers Arms" in 1843 by Captain Francis Ormond who bought a sprig of the tree from Napoleon's gravesite on St Helena. 

The Iron Bridge over the Leigh River at Shelford was erected in 1873-74 by the Shire of Leigh, replacing an earlier timber structure of 1851. The structure, which consists of two continuous hollow wrought iron girders over three spans and supported on iron rollers attached to bluestone piers and abutments, was designed by Shire Engineer CAC Wilson, and fabricated in situ from components cast by Ballarat founder, John Price.

The Iron Bridge at Shelford is one of a small number of wrought iron box girder bridges which survive in Victoria. The structure is notable for inherent constructional and technical features in the design and as an example of the work of CAC Wilson, an import figure in the history of bridge building in Victoria. Wilson practised his profession for an incredible 64 years (1846-1910) and was responsible for many iron, timber and concrete bridges in Western Victoria.

The Iron Bridge at Shelford has been superseded with the construction of a new concrete bridge adjacent to the original structure. The bridge was restored and used to carry light traffic.
[Source: Register of the National Estate]

Location

Address:Shelford-Bannockburn Road, Shelford, 3329
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.013486
Long: 143.978261
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Tree
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 5th April, 1998
Front Inscription

TO COMMEMORATE THE RE-OPENING OF
THE OLD IRON BRIDGE AT SHELFORD ON 
5th April 1998

A St. Helena Island willow was planted by Mr. Roy
(Bill) Gillett, a local resident who grew this tree
from a cutting taken from a willow tree planted at
"The Settlers Arms" in 1843 by Captain Francis
Ormond.  He having brought a sprig from a
St. Helena Island willow growing at the grave site of
Napoleon Boneparte (sic)  of France

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design