Deniliquin-Echuca Intercolonial Rail Connection CentenaryPrint Page
Plaque erected by the Australian Railways Historical Society in 1976 commemorates the centenary of Australia's first intercolonial rail connection from Deniliquin to Echuca by the Deniliquin & Moama Railway Company in 1876.
The Deniliquin and Moama Railway Company was a railway company formed by a syndicate of Victorian capitalists to construct a railway from Moama to Denilquin in New South Wales, Australia
Work commenced at Echuca where a junction was made with the Victorian northern railway. The initial crossing of the Murray was made over a temporary trestle bridge, 518m in length and built from red gum piles. As it was necessary to permit the passage of river craft, a lifting span was incorporated. Clear of the Murray, the railway entered Moama. The country from Moama to Deniliquin comprises a series of almost level plains. The permanent way was laid on the surface and ballasted with sand. Throughout its length, there were only five curves of 1.6 km radius. The line was built within a period of 12 months.
The Moama and Deniliquin Railway was successfully opened on Tuesday, the formal declaration being made by Mr. Hay, the member in the Legislative Assembly of New South Wales for the district through which the line runs. The directors of tbe company were hospitable to an unheard-of-degree, and as they were liberally backed up by the Victorian Railway, Deniliquin was for the time transformed, and some 1200 Victorian guests were present in that rising township. The immense party was successfully carried to and fro. At the banquet there were present about 800 guests, including many members of the Victorian Parliament. The chair was occupied by Mr. Collier, of the firm of Collier, Barry & Co., chairman of the company, and the proceedings appear to have been of the most enjoyable and cordial description, the entente cordiale between the two colonies being displayed to a degree that must prove gratifying to the people of both. Some capital speeches were made, the Hon. Joseph Jones, tbe Victorian Minister of Railways distinguishing himself by an effective oration. Mr. Langton spoke, and the Hon. R. Ramsay, Postmaster-General and Mr. Berry,and other members of the Legislature, were among the guests.
Advocate (Melbourne), 8 July 1876.
|Address:||Napier Street, Railway Station (closed), Deniliquin, 2710|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.532222|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||4 -July-1876|
|Actual Event End Date:||3-July-1976|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 3rd July, 1976|