www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Samuel Williams Jones (Condamine Bell)Print Page Print this page

01-June-2016
01-June-2016

Photographs supplied by Ian Waters O.A.M.

A large replica of the Samuel W. Jones Bullfrog Bell commemorates Samuel Jones and the pioneers who used his bells. 

In 1868, Samuel Williams Jones (S. W. Jones) was accredited with making the first Condamine bell from a used pitsaw blade (the name derived from the Queensland town where he lived at the time). His design was not completely original as his inspiration was from what he had seen in his youth in Britain. However, his bell was generally larger and more suitable for the Australian conditions. He referred to them as 'Bullfrog Bells' because of the strong resonant sound and continued producing them until his retirement in 1912. Although his signature bell is referred to as the 'Condamine', in reality the majority of them were made in in his smithy in Toowong, Brisbane, after he moved there in 1876.

Location

Address:Leichhardt Highway, Bell Park, Condamine, 4416
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -26.926844
Long: 150.135884
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Industry

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 17th September, 1977
Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1977
Front Inscription

SAMUEL WILLIAM JONES
Blacksmith in Condamine
1867 - 1878
Invented The Now Famous
Condamine Bell

He was first to manufacture stock bells using sheet metal from a cross cut saw or pit saw.  He called them bull frog bells and stamped "S. W. Jones" on the tongue.

This monument unveiled on 17th Sept, 1977
is to salute Jones and the pioneers who used his bells.

Source: MA,NRUM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design