Fassifern Branch Railway MemorialPrint Page
The memorial is dedicated to the vital role the railway played in the development of Boonah and marks the site of the former railway station.
In 1879 settlers in the Fassifern Valley petitioned the Queensland Government to construct a branch railway from Ipswich to Coochin Coochin, arguing that it was one of the oldest and most thickly populated agricultural districts in the colony. The railway would offer a speedy and regular transit for both their agricultural produce and timber and, importantly, the first section of the line would be able to tap into the rich coal seams south of Ipswich. It had the desired effect; work began in 1881 with the line reaching Harrisville in July the following year. This was Queensland's first branch railway, but it was not until 1886, and only after further agitation, that construction finally continued on a southern extension to Dugandan. The line was opened for traffic in September 1887, with stops being provided at Blantyre (near Milbong), Roadvale, Teviotville, Hoya and Boonah.
|Address:||Yeates Avenue, rear of Commercial hotel, Boonah, 4310|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.996944|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 18th April, 1982|
THE FASSIFERN BRANCH RAILWAY
Ipswich - Harrisville Section opened 18th July 1882.
Harrisville-Dugandan Section opened 12th September 1887.
Branch Line Closed 30th June 1964.
This memorial marks the site of the former Boonah Railway Station
and records the vital role which the Railway played
in the development and progress of the Shire of Boonah.
Erected by the Boonah Shire Council
through the generosity of D.A. Jolly Esq. April 1982.