Ruwolt`s FoundryPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the site of Ruwolt`s Foundry started by Charles Ruwolt.
In 1902 he opened his own iron foundry at Wangaratta, making windmills and carrying out agricultural machinery repairs. Within ten years he became a leading manufacturer of mining dredges, used throughout Australia and exported to the Malay States, Siam (Thailand), the Philippines, South Africa and New Guinea In 1912, he moved the plant to Richmond, and in 1916 it was merged with Vickers to become Vickers-Ruwolt
|Address:||Clement Street, Levee bank for Apex Park, Wangaratta, 3677|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.357778|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1902|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1916|
This piece was cast on this site by Charles Ruwolt Iron Foundry 1902 -1910.
The company moved to Richmond (Melb) in 1912 manufacturing for the mining, paper and rubber industries. During World War 2 (1939 - 1945) this company manufactured 25 Pdr and 17 Pdr guns and other weapons.
In 1946 Charles Ruwolt became part of the Vickers Group known as Vickers Ruwolt Pty Ltd.