www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of Gold Discovery Print Page Print this page

03-March-2019
03-March-2019

Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin

The brick entrance gates at Lord Nelson Park were erected by public subscription to commemorate the centenary of discovery of gold in the area in 1855. They also pay tribute to the pioneers of the area. 

The Lord Nelson Quartz Mining Company mined on this site from 1884 to 1915.

Location

Address:Alma & Dundas Streets, Lord Nelson Park, St Arnaud, 3478
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.613074
Long: 143.257697
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Gates
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Approx. Event Start Date:1855
Approx. Event End Date:1955

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 1st October, 1955
Left Side Inscription

Lord Nelson Park

This gateway built by public subscription was opened by Edward H. Goulden, Esq..

Son of T. E. Golden who arrived in 1855 and was Town Clerk from 1861 to 1894

1st October 1955

It marks a community`s tribute to the pioneers and founders of St. Arnaud

Right Side Inscription

Lord Nelson Park

This gateway was built to commemorate the centenary of the discovery of gold in this area in 1855

The Lord Nelson Quartz Mining Company worked the area 1884 - 1915

Ths stone raised yielded 329,866 oz. of gold valued at £1,022,584

Depth of lowest working 2,485 feet

Source: MA,VMR,RHSV
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design