Welcome Stranger ObeliskPrint Page
Monument is located one and a quarter miles south-west of Moliagul in forest country. It marks the spot where the Welcome Stranger nugget was discovered by John Deason and Richard Oates in 1869.
About a quarter mile south-west of the monument is a small cleared paddock where John Deason lived.
The monument is an obelisk of granite surrounded by granite columns and wrought iron panels. The Welcome Stranger nugget is the largest gold nugget ever discovered weighing 2,520ozs gross, Net weight 2,284ozs, 16durts 22grains.
|Address:||Old Bealiba Moliagul Road, 2 kilometres south-east of town, Moliagul, 3472|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.761601|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||05-February-1859|
|Actual Event End Date:||05-February-1859|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Mines Department|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1897|
Welcome Stranger Nugget.
On this spot the largest nugget of gold in the world was discovered on the 5th February 1869 by John Deason and Richard Oates. Weigh 2316 oz, Value L 9553 Erected by the Mines Department 1897 Henry Foster Minister of Mines, D.J. Duggan M.L.A. Member for Dunolly