Gold Discovery MonumentPrint Page
Plaque on the stone cottage of shepherd who discovered gold which resulted in the local goldrush. The first European settler in the region was a Doctor Barker whose Ravenswood No.1 Run encompassed the present townsite. His homestead was located at what is now the northern end of town (the site is indicated by a roadside plaque on the eastern side of Eagles Road, near Barkers Creek).
It was on this property that a shepherd named John Worley found gold in 1851. Subsequently, thousands of prospectors from around the globe descended on the Mount Alexander area. So prominent a destination was it that the road out of Melbourne was known as Mount Alexander Road.
|Address:||Specimen Gully Road, 2 kilometres from Calder Highway, Harcourt, 3453|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.000278|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.