Port Phillip MinePrint Page
Plaque commemorates the site of the Port Phillip Mine.
Floated in London at the end of 1851, the Port Phillip & Colonial Gold Mining Company was the first foreign-owned public company to invest in Victorian gold mining. It was also one of the first Victorian mining companies to employ both professional geologists and metallurgists.
Together with the Bendigo goldmines, the Port Phillip Company helped to dispel Murchison`s theory that payable gold would not be found at depth.The company`s influence spread far beyond Clunes with mining engineers from around the world visiting the mine to study the underground workings and treatment methods.
The Port Phillip mine remained in operation until 1893, producing 514,886 ounces (15.96 tonnes) of gold, worth $A270 million at today`s prices, from 1.3 million tonnes of quartz ore, with the main shaft reaching 427 metres in depth. The plaque is on private land and indicates the site of Port Phillip Mine. Marker on other side of fence indicates the first gold find.
|Address:||Camp Street, Esmond Park , Clunes, 3370|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.28959|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event End Date:||MA|