Buckland Miners MonumentPrint Page
Commemorates the miners of Buckland and their wives and children.
Gold was discovered in 1853 and miners rushed to the area and within twelve months there was a town of 6000 people but typhoid spread through the diggings and it is estimated that over 1000 miners died as a result of the disease.
The large community of Chinese (it was estimated to number 3000 at its peak in 1857) led to an anti-Chinese riot. Chinese fled from the area and Robert O`Hara Burke (of Burke and Wills fame), who was working as a policeman at Beechworth, was sent to the diggings to restore order. As the easy gold disappeared the town moved firstly to reef mining and later to dredging until by the early years of the twentieth century it had outlived its usefulness. The village was eventually removed.
|Address:||Buckland Valley Road, Cemetery, Buckland, 3740|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.824756|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1972|
In memory of the miners, mothers and children who died in this valley and lie buried between the "Crossing", Porepunkah and as far up the Buckland as mining extended prior to the reservation of this site for a cemetery in 1863. The greatest number of deaths occurred in late 1853 and early 1854 when colonial fever swept the valley leaving it known as the valley of the shadow of death. Harrietville Historical Society 1972.