www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Spring Hill Leads Gold Discovery Print Page Print this page

Spring Hill Leads
Spring Hill Leads

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson

A monument commemorates the discovery of gold in the Broomfield area and the development of the Spring Hill Leads.

In May 1872, Carter, Brawn and Graham discovered rich gold on Spring Hill. The discovery at Broomfield Gully caused a rush which led to three distinct leads being found at Lewers Lead, Reserve Lead and Spring Hill Lead.

To mark the site of the discovery of gold in Broomfield Gully, a memorial is to be erected on the roadside at Broomfield south of the site of the old shaft of Carter and Brawn's claim. The working of this claim led to the opening up of the deep lead mining in this district. Permission for the erection of the memorial has been granted by the shire council, the cost being borne by Mr. J. A. Graham, president of Old Creswickian Association, who is a son of one of the original holders of this claim. The memorial will stand 9 feet high on a 4-foot base, and will be constructed of granite. A bronze tablet will carry an inscription of the discovery of gold in 1872 by Leonard R. Carter, Edward Brawn and William Graham, which led to the opening of the Spring Hill leads, the richest deep alluvial gold field in the world. 
Age (Melbourne),  8 February 1939.

Location

Address:Old Broomfield Road, Broomfield, 3364
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.386389
Long: 143.910556
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Actual Event STart Date:11-May-1872
Actual Event End Date:11-May-1872

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 1st April, 1939
Front Inscription

116 Yards North 10 Degrees East From Here
Rich Gold Was Discovered On 11th
May, 1872, By Leonard R. Carter, Sarah
Brawn, Edward Brawn & William Graham.
This Discovery Led To The Opening Up
Of The Spring Hill Leads, The Richest
Deep Alluvial Goldfield In The World.

Presented by
J. A. Graham
1st April 1939

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design