Gold DiscoveryPrint Page Print this page

Gold Discovery : 18-July-2011
Gold Discovery : 18-July-2011

Photographs supplied by Roger Johnson

An obelisk by Bendigo Creek marks the site of the first gold discovery in 1851.

In the late spring of 1851 two women from the Ravenswood Run, Margaret Kennedy and Julia Farrell, struck gold in "The Rocks" area of Bendigo Creek, in what is now the suburb of Golden Square. They were seen with gold by a journalist who reported what he saw to Melbourne and the rush to Bendigo began.


Address:High Street, Golden Square, Bendigo, 3550
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.769444
Long: 144.264031
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Technology
Approx. Event Start Date:September-1851
Approx. Event End Date:September-1851


Front Inscription

To the pioneers

Gold first discovered here Sept 1951

Presented by Cr. J. E. Holland J. P.

Mayor 1921-22

Source: MA,VMR
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design