Poverty Point Gold DiscoveryPrint Page Print this page

First Gold Discovery
First Gold Discovery

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson / Graeme Saunders

A monument commemorates the Poverty Point Gold Discovery. The monument was restored and re-erected on this site in 1954. The monument is a tall granite obelisk. 

When the news spread of gold discovery at Buninyong, it was overrun with prospectors. John Dunlop and James Regan left and moved to Ballarat where they discovered a richer field on 21 August 1851. However a newspaper man had followed them and noticed their work. As a result, they only had the richest gold field in the world to themselves for a week.

By the following year there were around 20,000 diggers searching in the shafts of the Ballarat Goldfields. Due to this population explosion, Ballarat was proclaimed a town in 1852. By 1855, Ballarat was a municipality, a borough by 1863 and a city in 1870.

They did not receive any part of the rewards which had been offered for the gold discovery, although Dunlop`s wife remembered that he discovered his weight plus 14 pounds in gold. Dunlop later became a butcher and died in 1873. The monument is a tall granite obelisk, capped by a larger square stone.


Address:Barkly & Eureka Streets, Fraser Reserve, Ballarat East , 3350
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.566542
Long: 143.866556
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Technology
Actual Event STart Date:21-August-1851
Actual Event End Date:21-August-1851


Front Inscription



Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design