Miners MemorialPrint Page
Monument to the coalminers.
West Wallsend was founded on coal mining. In July 1888 the West Wallsend Coal Co. colliery commenced production after some years of lead up work. The Monkwearmouth Coal Co. colliery also began producing in the area in March 1890 after 4 years of preparation. It became Seaham Colliery in 1891-92. West Wallsend Extended (Killingworth) opened in 1892. Seaham No. 2 was opened in 1905. These four mines formed the economic basis of the town.
West Wallsend Colliery closed in the mid-1920`s; West Wallsend Extended (Killingworth) ceased production for 4 years in December 1910 after an explosion, and was closed indefinitely in 1930, but is now in operation again. Seaham No. 1 closed in 1932; and Seaham No. 2 in 1945. During 1886-88 some- 40 workers were employed on shaft sinking and foundation work for the start of the coal mines. They, were housed in huts clustered around the two mines. An explosion in 1979 wrecked West Wallsend Colliery but there was no loss of life.
|Address:||49a Wallace Street, West Wallsend Public School, West Wallsend, 2286|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.904722|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.