www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Wongarbon Water Supply SchemePrint Page Print this page

29-April-2019
29-April-2019

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

The Annis and George Bills water trough commemorates the commissioning of the Wongarbon Water Supply Scheme in June 2000.

Location

Address:5 Gundong Street, Wongarbon Public School, Wongarbon, 2831
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.334221
Long: 148.760132
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Actual Event STart Date:24-June-2000
Actual Event End Date:24-June-2000

Dedication

Front Inscription

Dubbo City Council
June 2000

Wongarbon Water Supply

The Annis and George Bills water trough

This historic water trough was originally installed in Macquarie Street, Dubbo in the early part of the 20th century.  It was refurbished and moved to this site to commemorate the completion of the Wongarbon Water Supply in June 2000.

George Bills arrived in Sydney with his family in 1871.  His love of animals was instilled in him from his father, a naturalist.  George and his brothers, Richard & Henry, commenced a business of legally exporting birds.  This led to the manufacture of bird cages, later wire mats and finally a patent on machinery to weave the wire for inner spring mattresses.  This activity created his fortune.  The factory was established in Kent Street, Sydney and operated until 1963 producing "Lethe" and later "BBB" brand mattresses.

Annis and George travledd the world donating water troughs for the benefit of anaimals.  There were 110 installed throughout Britain and approximately 50 more in other parts of the world.  Many thousands were erected in Australia, including some in central Australia for use by camels.

Many were simple and others more elaborate, having a subsidiary trough on one end to provide water for smaller animals.  Occassionaly, there was a tap with pannikin attached by a chain, for the use of drovers and swaggies.

In city areas many commodities such as milk, bread, meat and ice were delivered by horse and cart, so there troughs also found a place in suburbia.  With the gradual disappearance of horse drawn vehicles, the need for troughs diminshed.

Annis died on 30 March 1910 during a visit to Brighton, England, leaving her estate to her husband.  George died on 14 December 1927 in Hawthorn, Victoria.  His will left his estate to benefit the welfare of animals.  The trust continued to be used for animal welfare until the bequest expiredi n 1981.

This historic water trough was officially unveiled by Councillor the Honourable Gerry Peacocke Mayor of Dubbo on 24 June 2000 to commemorate the commissioning of the Wongarbon Water Supply Scheme, a joint project by the NSW Department of Land and Water Conservation and Dubbo City Council

Cr the Hon Gerry Peacocke  Mayor
Tony Kelly                              PSM General Manager
Stewart McLeod                    Director Technical Services

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design