www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Superintendents of Cape Wickham LighthousePrint Page Print this page

21-January-2017
21-January-2017

Photographs supplied by Neil Follett

The monument commemorates the Superintendents of the Cape Wickham Lighthouse who served at the lighthouse from 1861 until 1920.

 

Location

Address:36 Lighthouse Street, Currie Museum, Currie, 7256
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -39.930281
Long: 143.843821
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Approx. Event Start Date:1861
Approx. Event End Date:1920

Dedication

Front Inscription

This plaque commemorates the service of the Superintendents of Cape Wickham Lighthouse from its commissioning in 1861 until withdrawal of staff in 1920 when the light became automatic.

Capt F. Drugan   1861 - 1862
E. N. Spong        1862 - 1882
E. Nielson           1882.
R. W. Garraway  1882 - 1891
G. Johnston        1891 - 1905
H. Nass                1905 - 1913
G. P. White          1913 - 1920

These men and their assistants with their fellow lighthouse keepers at Cape Otway were guardians of the western entrance to Bass Strait.

When construction of the lighthouse was completed, these undressed blocks of granite remained at Cape Wickham.

This plaque was provided by the Government of Tasmania.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design