www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of Maatsuyker Island LighthousePrint Page Print this page

18-June-2016
18-June-2016

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

The Memorial commemorates the centenary of the Maatsuyker Island Lighthouse from 1891 to 1991.

The memorial features an information plaque on the lighthouse and an anchor from the George 111, a convict ship of 394 tons, which was wrecked on reefs at the south-eastern entrance to the D'Entrecasteaux Channel, on 12 March 1835 with the loss of 133 lives. 

Maatsuyker Island Lighthouse is a lighthouse on Maatsuyker Island, Tasmania, Australia. It was the last Australian lighthouse still being officially operated by lightkeepers. A second, smaller, and automated lighthouse was installed in 1996 but it is unclear whether volunteers are going to continue to work the lights on Maatsuyker Island. 

 

Location

Address:7040 Huon Highway, Dover, 7117
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -43.317222
Long: 147.011012
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Actual Event STart Date:
Approx. Event Start Date:1891
Actual Event End Date:
Approx. Event End Date:1991

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 1st June, 1991
Front Inscription

Plaque:
Maatsuyker Island Lighthouse 1891 - 1991

This plaque was unveiled on 1 June 1991 by Mr. Colin Freeland A.O.
Chairman of the Australian Marine Safety Authority,
To commemorate the Centenary of the Maatsuyker Island Lighthouse
(Lat. 43º 39.5, Long. 146º 16.2)

One Hundred Years Of Dedicated Service To The Mariner

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design