www.monumentaustralia.org.au

South Solitary Lighthouse Keepers & Families Print Page Print this page

The plaque commemorates the service to maritime safety of the South Solitary Lighthouse Keepers and their familes from 1880 to 1975. The plaque also commemorates the centenary of the formation of the Commonwealth Lighthouse Service in 1915. 

The South Solitary Island Lighthouse, located off the Coffs Harbour coast, first became operational in 1880 and is one of Australia's 55 heritage lighthouses under Australian Government management. South Solitary Island was selected as the site of the lighthouse over North Solitary Island because of its location and more suitable boat access.

The South Solitary Island Lighthouse is constructed of concrete and its light has a range of 20 nautical miles. The lighthouse stands 20 metres tall and has an imposing cliff top location 42 metres above the Pacific Ocean.

 

Location

Address:215 Harbour Drive, Coffs Harbour Regional Museum, Coffs Harbour, 2450
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -30.300943
Long: 153.121014
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 13th November, 2015
Front Inscription
Australian Government    
Australian Maritime Safety Authority
Friends of South Solitary Island

THIS PLAQUE IS DEDICATED TO THE LIGHTHOUSE KEEPERS & THEIR FAMILIES FOR THEIR INVALUABLE SERVICE TO MARITIME SAFETY IN THE REGION OF THE SOUTH SOLITARY ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE 1880 TO 1975

THIS PLAQUE ALSO COMMEMORATES THE CENTENARY OF THE FORMATION OF THE COMMONWEALTH LIGHTHOUSE SERVICE IN 1915
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design