Historic Engineering Marker- Trees of Canberra AvenuePrint Page
An Historic Engineering Plaque commemorates the planting of trees in Canberra for the beautification of the national capital.
The Institution of Engineers Australia, through its Heritage Committees, established the Australian Historic Engineering Plaquing Program to acknowledge past engineering achievements and to draw public attention to the significant contributions they have made to society.The Plaquing Program is a means of bringing public recognition to significant historic engineering works and the engineers who created them. The Program is intended to contribute to the conservation of Australian engineering heritage.
|Address:||Manuka Circuit, Manuka, 2603|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.318084|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2001|
Historic Engineering Marker
The Trees of Canberra Avenue
At the suggestion of William B. Carmichael of Sydney in 1925, various societies and organisations sponsored the planting of trees in Canberra for the beautification of the national capital.
On 2 August 1926, members of the Institution of Engineers ceremoniously planted trees in Manuka Circle, symbolising the interest and role of engineers in the building of the capital and the nation.
As an act of celebration of the Centenary of Federation in 2001, Dr Martin Cole, President of the Institution, planted a tree on this site on 2 August of that year.
Dedicated by the Institution of Engineers, Australia
2001 - - The Centenary of Federation