Opening of Old Telegraph StationPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the opening of the old Telegraph Station in January 1857.
|Address:||210 Barker Street, OId Telegraph Station, Castlemaine, 3450|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.064048|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||01-January-1857|
|Actual Event End Date:||01-January-1857|
This plaque commemorates the opening of the "Old Telegraph Station" on the 1st January 1857 and the restoration of the external stonework by the Castlemaine Pioneers and Old Residents Association Inc.
Restoration work dedicated 12th December 2006 by Senator the Hon. Michael Richardson
This project was undertaken with funding from the Australian Government through the National Heritage Investment Initiative.
OId Telegraph Station
Opened 1st January 1857
The oldest surviving telegraph station in Australia
Its telegraphic function was transferred on 5th July 1875 when the new Post Office building next door opened
The building and land was granted to The Pioneers and and Old Residents Association of Castlemaine on 22nd December 1893