Mr. and Mrs. E. J. VangesPrint Page
A park and monument commemorates their work for Nyngan and the district. Mr. Vanges was Mayor for several years, and he and his wife were killed in a motor accident.
Jack Vanges was born in Kythera on the 17th January, 1913 and came to Nyngan when he was about 16 years old. He worked at the California Cafe for Mr Nicholas Crethar for many years, eventually acquiring ownership of the Cafe himself. In the early 1960s Jack bought the old Court House Hotel, and having disposed of his Cafe business to the Stathis Brothers, he proceeded to convert the hotel building to flats and offices, which are now known as Vanges Buildings. It was during this time that Jack Vanges was elected to the Municipal Council.
He was Mayor of Nyngan for some years, during which time he did not accept his Mayoral Allowance, directing that it be used for the purchase of trees for planting in the streets, These trees are now a source of delight, an inspiration to the people of town, and a memorial to him. On Saturday, December 18, 1976, Jack and wife, accompanied by Mr Jim Edwards, were driving to Narromine when the car overturned and Jack and Jim Edwards were killed. Mrs Vanges lived for several weeks before succumbing to her injuries.
|Address:||Pangee Street, Vanges Park, Nyngan, 2825|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.563088|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1983|