www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Reverend William Gregson & Marjorie GregsonPrint Page Print this page

22-June-2016
22-June-2016

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

A stained glass window commemorates the Reverend William Witt Gregson who was Rector of the Parish from 1923 to 1934, and his wife Marjorie Gregson.

William Gregson was born in 1873 in Victoria, one of twelve children of a cleric. William apparently moved to Western Australia during his youth, for he graduated at the age of 30 from St. John's College and was ordained deacon in 1903 and priest in 1905. From 1903 until 1915 he served as curate and then priest-in-charge of five parishes in rural and suburban Western Australia.

In 1916 William came to Tasmania, first as assistant at New Town then as rector of, in succession, Geeveston, Oatlands and Lilydale. Early in this period he married Marjorie McKenzie, and they had three daughters. In 1923 the Reverend William Witt Gregson was appointed rector of St. George's Church, Invermay, and chaplain of the Launceston Church Grammar School. During the next decade he worked for the construction of a new  brick church, the chancel, transepts and part of the nave being built. In 1935 he was transferred to St. Matthew's parish at New Norfolk, where he served until 1943 when he retired. He died in 1954, aged 81 years; his wife survived him until 1971.

In 1972 the then rector of St. George's, the Reverend John Senior, completed the nave of the church, and the west window was installed as a memorial to William and Marjorie. The three lights depict the 'Nativity', 'Christ the Light of the World' and the 'Resurrection'. 

Location

Address:Invermay Road, Praise Chinese Methodist Church (Formerly St George`s Anglican Church), Invermay, 7248
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -41.416768
Long: 147.134302
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Tragedy

Dedication

Front Inscription

Plaque :

The Witt Gregson Window

The west window is known as the Witt Gregson window.  The centre light was installed in memory of the Rev`d William Witt Gregson Rector of the Parish of St George Invermay from 1923 to 1934 during which time the church was built and who died on 27th March, 1954 aged 81 years

The two side lights were installed in memory of Mrs. Marjorie Gregson wife of the above who died 20th February 1971 aged 92 years

Source: MA,JG
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design