Patrick & Kate Leslie Print Page
Larger than life sculptures erected in memory of Patrick Leslie and his wife Catherine (Kate). Leslie Dam was named after the pioneering settler.
The sculpture of Kate Leslie was unveiled on the 21st October 2001 as part of the Centenary of Federation Celebrations and is a tribute to pioneering women.
Patrick Leslie (25 September 1815 – 12 August 1881) was a Scottish Settler in Australia. Leslie and his two brothers (Walter and George) were the first to settle on the Darling Downs.
In 1847 the New South Wales government asked Leslie to select a site for a town on Canning Downs station. It was to be known as Canningtown, the local Aborigines knew the area as Gooragooby, but the name Warwick was eventually chosen. At the first land sale in Warwick 1848 Patrick Leslie bought the first allotment. Today much of the water supply for city of Warwick is drawn from Leslie Dam.
|Address:||Leslie Dam Road, near Dam Wall, Leslie Dam, 4370|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -28.214922|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Vernon Foss (Leyburn)|