Archibald William Blane Esq. Print Page
Memorial tablet erected to Archibald William Blane, Director and Deputy Governor of the Australian Agricultural Company who died at Booral in 1852.
The Karuah Valley, in which Stroud is located, was included in the 1826 land grant of almost a million acres made to the Australian Agricultural Company (AAC) between Port Stephens and the Manning River. The company itself was established in London in 1824 to expand on the production of fine wool in the colony.
|Address:||Cowper Street, St Johns The Evangelist Anglican Church, Stroud, 2425|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.405097|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
This monument is erected
AUSTRALIAN AGRICULTURAL COMPANY
in memory of
ARCHIBALD WILLIAM BLANE ESQre.
For many years a Director and afterwards Deputy Governor of that Company.
To commemorate the energy, intelligence and judgement evinced by him on all occasions in the service of the company but more especially the readiness and zeal with which at a late period of his life, he proceeded to New South wales to undertake the onerous charge of investigating and arranging the company's affairs, and his devotion to these duties during a very important epoch.
He departed this life at Booral on the 6th November 1852.
In the 65th year of his age.
To the inexpressible grief of his afflicted widow and family, and to the great sorrow of his colleagues in the court of directors, who desire here to record the high esteem in which he was held by them, and their deep sense of loss to themselves.
As well as to the interests of the company.