Gore FamilyPrint Page
Cairn unveiled in memory of the Gore family as a bicentennial project by the Tummaville branch of the QCWA.
The Gores were from a family of Irish landowners. They came out to Australia as a family, largely for reasons of health, following the death of their father, a clergyman, and the youngest son. Another son, William, became the Rector of All Saints Parramatta, while Ralph and St George Gore travelled to the Darling Downs in 1841 with sheep purchased from the Macarthurs. They established a run at Grasstree Creek, later known as Yandilla, and were joined soon after by brothers, Robert and St John and their wives. In 1846 Tummaville station adjoining Yandilla was acquired by the Gores. The family were devout Anglicans and had a paternalistic sense of responsibility towards the welfare of their workers, there being a considerable number of people living on Yandilla apart from the Gores. All Saints Church is a timber church erected at Yandilla Station by the Gore family about 1878.
|Address:||Gore Highway, Gore Memorial Park, Yandilla, 4352|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.827529|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1988|