Freidrich Carstens Print Page
A fountain commemorates Friederich Detleip Andreas Carstens, who contributed substantially to the advancement of the Port Douglas and Mossman region between 1886 and 1906, enabling the district to grow and prosper through his involvement with the Douglas Divisional Board and his role in promoting the construction of both the Mossman Central Mill and the Port Douglas and Mossman tramway.
The memorial was commissioned and paid for by his widow, Pauline Carstens, and presented c1907-08 to Douglas Shire Council as a public memorial drinking fountain.
Very little is known about the circumstance of presenting the memorial to the Douglas Shire Council or the arrangement made by Pauline Carstens for the memorial to be placed in a public thoroughfare. Douglas Shire Council minute books reputedly were destroyed in a fire c1908 and again by the 1911 cyclone. There are very few remaining copies of the local newspapers, the Port Douglas and Mossman Record or the Post Douglas and Mossman Gazette, for the period between 1905 and 1910.
|Address:||Macrossan Street, Port Douglas, 4877|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -16.481977|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||Melrose & Fenwick (Townsville, QLD)|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1908|