John DunnPrint Page Print this page

John Dunn
John Dunn

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

Memorial erected in memory of pioneer settler John Dunn who was killed by Aborigines in 1880. The memorial was erected by the Phillips Road Board to commemorate the centenary year of Western Australia. The memorial was unveiled by Mrs Moir, widow of the late William Moir and the first white women to visit the area, on the December 20th 1929.

The first settlers into the area were the Dunn brothers. It is thought that John Dunn became interested in the area when he became temporarily marooned while sealing off the coast near Mary Anne Harbour. Dunn moved into the area in 1868 and spent `the first three years clearing scrub, building sheep yards and preparing for permanent occupation` on a piece of land he would name `Cocanarup`. In 1871 John Dunn took three months to overland some sheep from Albany with his brother George. He was formally granted 4049 ha on 1 January 1873. John Dunn was killed by local natives in 1880.


Address:Jamieson Street & Hopetoun Road, Ravensthorpe, 6346
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.581024
Long: 120.053458
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Approx. Event Start Date:1880
Approx. Event End Date:1880


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 20th December, 1929
Front Inscription

Of Western Australia
In Memory Of
 A Pioneer
Who Came To This District In 1873
Killed By Natives In 1880
Aged 37 Years.
Erected By Phillips River Road Board.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design