Henry HoweyPrint Page
Commemorates a grazier and settler of the district. Henry Howey selected land from near the present town of Riddells Creek through Gisborne to Mount Macedon and he also bought land at the first land sales in Melbourne where his name remains on the property, on the corner of Collins and Swanston Streets.
Howey then returned to Parramatta to bring his wife, six children and some staff members to settle in this district. However, their small vessel the “Sarah” was wrecked on the ninety-mile beach en route to Gisborne. His name is perpetuated in Howey Street and in the Howey Monument where his bust overlooks Howey Reserve
|Address:||Hamilton Street, Gisborne, 3437|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.488333|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||May-1837|
|Approx. Event End Date:||May-1837|
Henry Howey grazier pioneer of this district settled on this flat May 1837