E. S. ParkerPrint Page
Monument commemorates Edward Stone Parker,assistant protector of Aboriginals and Methodist preacher , who established the Loddon Aboriginal station homestead
In 1838 Parker was in charge of a Methodist day school in Greater Queen Street, London, when the Colonial Office appointed him assistant protector of Aboriginals in the Port Phillip District, one of four to serve under G. A. Robinson. The protectors were to prevent conflict between black and white, teach the Aboriginals to cultivate the soil, promote their 'moral and religious improvement' and build 'suitable habitations'.
In early 1839 he first attempted to contact the Aboriginals of the Loddon area. He travelled widely, collecting information about the Aboriginals and investigating clashes with settlers. He often found that complaints against Aboriginal 'depredations' were exaggerated but, when convinced that Aboriginals had been murdered, he was unable to obtain convictions in the courts. He held that the Aboriginals had a right to the 'soil and its indigenous production', and his attempts to intervene in cases where Aboriginals were ill-treated brought him into conflict with neighbouring squatters and station hands.
In 1841 Parker established the Aboriginal station of Larnebarramul (Jim Crow) at Franklinford in central Victoria.
|Address:||Hepburn-Newstead Road, Franklinford, 3461|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.235812|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1841|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1841|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 2nd May, 1965|
Edward Stone Parker 1802 - 1865 Regional Pioneer, Protector of Aborigines established the Loddon aboriginal station homestead, church and school near this site in 1841. His devoted service remains a challenge and an inspiration April 1965