Hugh MurrayPrint Page
Cairn at city boundary to Hugh Murray (1814 - 1869) , pioneer of the Colac District. The stone used comes from "Borongarook House`, his homestead which stood near this site on what was know as "Illimnyte Run".
Hugh Murray is commemorated as Colac district’s first permanent white settler, having arrived in the district from Van Diemen’s Land with his sheep in 1837, when he was 23 years of age. His early arrival and his status as an educated free man who was a major landholder, led to him taking responsibility for many aspects of life in the emerging settlement. He was appointed a magistrate in 1848, and initially he and David Stodart, the other newly appointed magistrate, were the only ones within a radius of 30 miles of the settlement.
|Address:||Colac-Lavers Hill Road, Murray`s Hill, Colac, 3250|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.368984|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
This cairn commemorates Hugh Murray (1814-1869) who pioneered white settlement in this area, arriving in 1837. Shire of Colac/City of Colac