Henry Dendy Memorial WallPrint Page
A monument commemorates the founder of Brighton, Henry Dendy.
Henry Dendy (1800-1881) was born in Abinger, Surrey, England. He is best known for his purchase in 1841 of 5,120 acres (2,070 ha), or eight square miles, of land approximately 12 kilometres south-east of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. The land, known as Dendy's Special Survey, was purchased from the Crown for one pound an acre under the terms of the short-lived Special Survey regulations. Dendy established the township of Brighton on his land purchase.
A depression hit the colony in 1843 and Dendy was bankrupted in 1845. He died at Walhalla, Victoria on 11 February 1881.
|Address:||Boxshall Street, Brighton Council Chambers, Brighton, 3186|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.911116|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 15th February, 1981|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1957|
Plaque 1 :
In memory of Henry Dendy, founder of Brighton in 1841. Born Surrey, England, 24 May 1800; died Walhalla, Victoria, 11 February 1881.
Plaque 2 :
This memorial was unveiled by His Worship the Mayor of Brighton, Councillor W.F Park J.P. on the 15th February 1981 and presented to the City of Brighton by the Rotary Club of Brighton as a Community Service Project
Plaque 3 :
Henry Dendy`s Emigrants commissioned to work for Henry Dendy on his Brighton Estate [ Names ]
Commemorating the 150th anniversary of the emigrants arrival on the "Earl of Burham" 18 June 1842.
A tribute from their descendants to their courage, fortitude and endurance.
This plaque was unveiled by the Mayor of Brighton Councillor N. Economou JP on 14 June 1992