James Wilson & FamilyPrint Page
A monument commemorates James Wilson and his family who were pioneers of Steppes.
|Address:||Highland Lakes Road, Steppes State Reserve, Steppes Homestead, Steppes, 7030|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -42.101863|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
Steppes State Reserve
This memorial is erected to commemorate James Wilson and his family, Steppes pioneers.
The Steppes Homestead, built in March 1863, became the headquartes of the South Longford Police Division with James Wilson as Superintendent.
In the year 1870 he liberated brown trout fry in Great Lake for the first time, so laying the foundation for the valuable trout fishery in Central Tasmania.
Miss Madge Wilson, who conducted the Steppes Post Office for 30 years, donated the homestead and some additional land. She devoted her life to the care of the fauna and flora of this reserve.
National Parks and Wildlife Service