William Shakespeare HallPrint Page
A wrought iron screen commemorates pioneer William Shakespeare Hall.
He arrived in the district on the cutter "Dolphin" in 1856. He was manager of Andover, the first station in the Roebourne district, and later manager of the old Roebuck Bay Company. He was a member of the exploring party under Mr F. Gregory in the early days of settlement in the north, and assisted in bringing in the remains of Messrs Panter, Harding and Goldwyer.
He worked on many other early pastoral stations in the district, including running a blacksmith shop at Cooya Pooya. Hall earned a reputation for assisting new arrivals in the region.
He was a powerfully built man, a magnificent swimmer, and for years it was his daily custom to bathe in the creek which was only a stone-throw from his home in Cossack. He drowned at Cossack in 1896.
|Address:||Hampton Street, Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Roebourne, 6718|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -20.774722|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||G. Herbert Parry (Perth, W.A)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Wilfred Priestner|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 24th May, 1931|
This screen was erected to the glory of God and in memory of William Shakespeare Hall from funds provided by old friends and pioneers of the Roebourne District. He arrived in the district with the first exploring party in 1861-2.
Returning in 1863 he founded Andover Station, the first station in the district, on behalf of John Wellard. He served on the Roebourne Church Vestry almost continuously from the foundation of the parish in 1879 to his death in 1895.