Mother Mary MacKillop Memorial Park Print Page
Memorial Park contains a plaque indicating the site of the Stable school in Penola, where Mary MacKillop began the first ministry of the Sisters of St Joseph.
In 1866 Mary MacKillop, an outstanding young teacher, and Julian Tenison Woods, a priest and brilliant scientist, founded the uniquely Australian Sisters of St Joseph.
They provided a free Catholic education, initially for the isolated bush children of Penola. Since then the lives of many throughout Australia and overseas have been enriched and transformed.
Mary MacKillop, also known as St Mary of the Cross, has been declared a saint by the Catholic Church. She was canonised on 17 October 2010 during a public ceremony in St Peter's Square at the Vatican. She is the only Australian thus far to be recognised by the Catholic Church as a saint
|Address:||Queen & Bowden Streets, Penola, 5277|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.377494|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.