Reverend Dean HoynePrint Page
A monument commemorates one of the first benefactors of Nazareth House, the Reverend Dean Hoyne.
Reverend Hoyne arrived in Australia in 1851 and his first appointment was assistant priest at St Francis, Lonsdale Street. After serving at Heidelberg and Geelong he left to join the clergy of the Ballarat diocese. He served there for about twenty years, first at Warrnambool, then at Hamilton, and finally as Vicar General in Ballarat. At the end of 1899 he visited Tasmania and chose to spend the rest of his life in that State. He died in 1914 at the age of 89.
Nazareth House was a Catholic care and support institution for young girls and was opened in 1888. The building was designed by Tappin, Gilbert and Deneny in 1889 and constructed in 1891. The institute closed in 1976 and became an aged care facility.
|Address:||218 Mill Street, Nazareth House, Ballarat, 3350|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.553745|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
To the memory of the Very Rev Dean Hoyne one of the first benefactors of Nazareth House who died at Hobart 16th Jan 1914
Pray for Him